Friday, July 18, 2014

Finally Friday: The Dresden Files Book Series

        Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Tonight it is so nice outside, I may just have to go out and read because if you ask me a nice night spent reading would be pretty difficult to top. Do you have one book that is your absolute favorite? I don't, but I do love these fifteen books equally more than each other. Fifteen books, you might ask? Yes, fifteen, all of which belong to the lovely series called the Dresden Files. Furthermore, it is the Dresden Files I would like to discuss today.
        The Dresden Files, written by the brilliant Jim Butcher, who's picture is seen below. Now I'm sure you all know the stereotype of how a long book/movie series goes...not too well at all. But the Dresden Files? I still can't figure out how Mr. Butcher does it, but book after book they keep on getting better and better. This is a fantasy/mystery series about a wizard.  This wizard's name is Harry Coperfield Blackstone Dresden, who is also the eyes of the Dresden Files. Harry is not just any wizard though, he is Chicago's finest wizard. CHICAGO'S finest wizard?! Yes, that is right! This series does not take place in some bizare universe or anything, but it all takes place in our world! But wait...there's more! Harry Dresden also works for the police to solve crime dealing with the supernatural!
        Back to how stereotypes go, I'm sure these books sound like they surely aren't as good as they sound. If you are thinking that right now, than you are right....the books are even better than they sound! Trust me when I say I had high expectations for the Dresden Files after my friend's summary of it, very similar to the summary I just gave you. Yet Jim Butcher exceeded all of my expectations by a million and one. I highly reccomend sitting down and trying to read these books, they are easy reads and I find the puns Harry ocassionally makes histarical. If you like adventure, a little bit of action, a little bit of romance, and anything sci-fi related you will love this series, and here is a convenient little list of all the books in the series:
1. Storm Front
2. Fool Moon
3. Grave Peril
4. Summer Knight
5. Death Masks
6. Blood Rites
7. Dead Beat
8. Proven Guilty
9. White Night
10. Small Favor
11. Turn Coat
12. Changes
13. Ghost Story
14. Cold Days
15. Skin Game
        As far as any head's up before starting your reading adventue, I have a few things to be aware of. First, there are ocassional swear words in these books. Second, Harry does go into a bit too much detail as far as asappearences go, needless to say he does not "get around" very often. Don't forget eventually there is a bit of romance though! Third, there is a Dresden Files TV show, yet I DO NOT recommend watching it, at all. Please, please, please DO NOT just go watch the TV show because major details are missing in the TV show and quite frankly it isn't all that good. Other than that the book series is absolutely fantastic, so that concludes all my warnings and this overall blog session.

~Until tommorow,
        -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment