Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Artistic Tuesday: Vincent Van Gogh

  Good evening, everyone! Ah, there’s nothing like the excitement of going to the library to get a new book, and that book smell! Sorry, I got a new book and I can’t wait to dive into it. Anyway, so today I was thinking I would write about art. Yet now looking at it I’m not sure what I was really thinking because essentially everything is art in its own way. So I guess I can just start by talking about a classic painter. I know, I know, that probably sounds incredibly boring but hey art history can be amazing, especially looking at how much it has changed over time!
        Vincent Van Gogh, crazy man. Did you know he cut off a small portion of his ear lobe and gave it to his girlfriend? Yep, as you can tell he was a hopeless romantic. He was close friends with Paul Gauguin, a famous artist, I’ll dedicate a blog post about him later. Van Gogh suffered from multiple mental and physical conditions, poor fellow, including temporal lobe epilepsy.
        Post-Impressionist Vincent Van Gogh often painted with the color yellow, that or he painted stars. Most of you probably have heard of his most famous piece “Starry Night” (as seen below), but it seems no one can really agree on what the black area towards the left is. He created more than just a few paintings you are probably familiar with though. In fact in a period of about ten years, Van Gogh created over 900 paintings! Unfortunately, crazy Van Gogh shot himself at the age of 37 and died two days later. He may have been crazy, yet Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings are crazy beautiful.

~For all of those awesome drummers/percussionists out there: two drums and a cymbal fall off of a cliff, ba-dum-chhh!
        -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment